Tuesday 3 November 2009

Swine flu mania and Halloween

I'm now two and a bit days into a week of no classes .... yes, that's right - swine flu paranoia finally got the better of Seonwon Elementary School and the children have been evicted for a week. Bless. By some stroke of good fortune (hah!) the teachers are required to remain at school for reasons known only to the multitudes of Korean education system bureaucrats. Still, I can't complain too much - I'm student free, have plenty of free time for reading and studying Korean, and relaxing to the soothing, melodic sounds of an electric saw (compliments of the construction crew building our new gymnasium) a mere twenty feet from the door of my office. Said office is also semi-refrigerated, so much of my day is spent boiling the kettle to make tea and re-fill my hot water bottle.


Life in Korea is really enjoyable - unfortunately the weather has started to turn very cold which has necessitated many shopping trips for scarves, gloves, hats and coats. Any exucse to shop really! Since the cessation of my regular trips to Busan I have really been enjoying life in Korea a lot more. I have met so many wonderful people here in Daegu, both English and Korean. I'm getting out and about and trying to see as many other parts of this city as possible and am discovering new, weird and wonderful things around every corner. TIK!


In a couple of weeks I am heading to Nami Island in Gangwon province, which looks beautiful. The information flyer I have states "Nami Island - where men can leave their luggage from everyday life behind and share with nature". I can only hope that women are allowed to do the same. We will be renting bikes and cycling around the island, and also riding a 3-metre 'sky bicycle', the sound of which quite frankly makes me nervous. It looks beautiful though, and will be one of the last chances I get to see the leaves turn before the cold winter finally settles in. We're also going to see Le Petit France, which sounds like a rather bizarre abberation on the Korean landscape but interesting nonetheless. It's the Korean interpretation and 'local experience' of French culture (who needs Paris?!) set to the concept of La Petit Prince. In true Korean style, tourist publicity curiously states that it is "highly popular to family-sized tourists". Given the relative size of Korean people, I can only assume they have a lot of British and Americans visiting. After all, when in Korea, France is high on everybody's list of things to do - is it not?


On the subject of Korean experiences, I have been meeting a few local Korean people . It's great being able to see the city with someone who speaks the language and offers an entirely different experience to the usual Western perspective (and accompanying mangling of the language). Koreans are genuinely friendly people and are never too shy to say hello or help you out if needed. I got chatting to a Korean guy on the bus the other night who has just opened a bar in the central city. He seemed really nice, and has given me some VIP tickets and free drinks when I visit - score!


I also had another date with Mr Korea who seems really sweet. We met on Friday night in downtown - I had just come from dinner with friends down at Keimyung University, and he had eaten also. So .... we went to a restaurant where he proceeded to order a heap of food and some soju. We chatted, grazed and drank for a couple of hours before he whisked me off to a very fancy cocktail bar and then on to a club - all at his expense. We didn't finish up til around 5am, and it was a great night and well worth the sleep deprivation. He neglected to tell me that he was on the 6am KTX to Busan for work so he didn't actually go to bed that night - I don't know how he managed it! I struggled to make Halloween the following evening despite a good six or seven hours sleep. I'm not so sure that date number three is as significant as many people have led me to believe (Korean dating protocols apparently state it means a serious relationship) so I've relaxed on that front a little. He did mention on Friday night however that as the first-born son his parents are pressuring him to marry and have children - definitely one to be wary of! In saying that, he didn't sound too enamoured with that prospect so I didn't flee the restaurant. I definitely think that Western girls have it easier than guys when it comes to dating Koreans. By all accounts the girls are very high maintenance and are expected to pay for everything. So far I've expected nothing and received everything - he won't let me pay for anything. Hooray for my Korean predecessors!


This weekend I'm off to Busan to see Fatima and hit up Centum City (worlds largest department store) for some serious winter clothes shopping. Friday night we're going out to dinner and relaxing, and Saturday night we're going to dinner with Mr Korea and his friend and then out to a club afterwards - I'm really looking forward to it!


Halloween at Skyy Bar, Daegu



Pizza in a cup ... a 4a.m. Daegu delicacy!



Partying it up at GoGo Party for Lia's 'tight and bright' 80's birthday party

No comments:

Post a Comment