Sunday 15 November 2009

It's getting cold...

Ok – so just a quick update on life in the R.O.K. Nothing too exciting has been happening, but in the absence of a home computer and Skype I’ll endeavor to keep you updated via this blog until I resolve a few technology issues! 

I’m amped
So my cruddy laptop finally blew up a couple of weeks ago. I purchased a new one, and after a week of waiting finally got it. It’s a beauty – 15 inch screen, enough RAM to support my webcam (finally!) and it even has pink sparkly flowers on the lid. Niceuh! I then had to ship it off to a Korean technician to load up English Windows XP (no more Vista – hooray!). The evening I got it back, the hard disk blew out rendering it completely unusable – “no operating system detected”. Excellent timing, as that evening I had planned to watch a DVD on it with a friend – no go! So … it’s now back with the retailer and it’s either going to get surgery or be replaced. Once I get it back, it has to go back to the technician to have Windows reinstalled again – Fun With Technology. I am convinced I am jinxed when it comes to these sorts of things. 2 laptops and a brand new power adaptor – all dead. That, and everything I touch gives me an electric shock, and my hair is ridiculously full of static. I’m all powered up! 


I’m late
OK – I know I promised lots of beautiful pictures and stories about Nami Island. I’m afraid you’ll have to wait. I had a small issue on Sunday, involving me and an alarm clock. Joanne and I went out for James’s birthday on Saturday night, and had a couple of drinks. I managed to set my alarm for the correct time, but not the correct day. I awoke at 7am – half an hour after I was meant to get on the bus in Yongsan. Panicking, I called Joanne to see where the bus was and if there was any hope of catching it up. She was also still in bed, having also mucked up her alarm. What a useless pair we were! After a quick phone call to the tour leader we resigned ourselves to the fact that Nami Island was going to have to wait until another day, and went back to bed. Sunday night I went to dinner with Mr Korea and had 보쌈 (bossam), which is steamed pork with a selection of a million different side dishes. It was so good! 


...and I'm cold.
It’s getting pretty cold here now – I’ve purchased two big winter jackets and a heap of sweaters, stockings, socks and scarves. Our school is like a large refrigerator, so no doubt there will be a heater added to the list of acquisitions in the near future! This weekend Drew is coming down from Incheon and we are going to either go up Palgongsan or Apsan (mountains in Daegu). Fortunately both have cable cars for the less hiking-inclined such as myself. It’s going to be pretty cold up there, so I’ll be making full use of my massive winter jacket – I have to buy a hat as well, but the only ones they seem to sell in this country make me look like a teapot so I’m still looking.

More soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment