Monday 12 July 2010

Young and unscrupulous?

Since I arrived at school this morning, I've received a plethora of gifts and letters from various students who wanted to say their goodbyes. My desk is now littered with candy, cakes, choco-pies, iced tea, hand-made paper flowers, cards, letters and even a balloon with my portrait on it. 

One of the letters I received was from one of my favourite and very sweet little fifth graders, who I think might have utilised Google translate or something similar to try and convey her thoughts in English. She's clearly spent a huge amount of time on it, and also wrapped up a gorgeous little gift of various candies for me in 'I love you' paper. The contents of the letter were wonderful, so I thought I'd share them for the sake of posterity. 

Dear Diana Teacher ~~
Hello Teacher
Hmm, first of all, reading this letter, you must bear it in mind that this is a whopping sentence.
D you know your 'the first impression' when we saw you first time?
Of course. You cannot know that.
We thought you to be younger teacher and not to be scrupulous. 
However, why!
We thought you to minded us after you said to us in English class
Oh my
As soon, it passed over half a year this and that
that is called one year is very long in English study respects or very short in human relations respects.
In friend relations respects, that is called one year is, that is to say a day
Time seems to be vague.
there is a difference in the flow of time with an exceptions to a set pattern notion. whoever passed away quickly, whoever passed away slowly.
Whenever passed away quickly, whenever passed away slowly.
That is why I am fascinated by freedom of time.
It is summer night even winds are hot. Keep your health, Rdieu. 
                                 ~Young-woo

I would love to read the literal translation of whatever she plugged into the translator - it's clearly deeper than your average 'thank you teacher, I will miss you'. I think she's put a lot of thought into it, but unfortunately much of it was lost in translation. Korean language differs from English in that it uses a subject-object-verb sentence structure, ensuring that anything you plug into a translator will not make sense when translated into English. Still, the sentiment is there, and I feel honoured that she has taken the time and thought to write it out for me. It's the little things like this I'll remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment