Tuesday 13 July 2010

The South East Beast

I've had a lot of questions around where and when I'm travelling, so thought I might as well save time and put it down on my blog! Hopefully this will provide some sort of incentive to write a bit more about my travels as they happen, but don't hold your breath.

Furthermore, if you have any recommendations (good or bad) for any destinations on this trip, please leave a comment below.

THE SOUTH EAST BEAST
(a rough itinerary)

August 16th - 18th
Hanoi, Vietnam

August 19th - 22nd 
Halong Bay, Vietnam

August 23rd - 27th
Hoi An/Da Nang

August 28th - 31st
Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), Vietnam

September 1st - 5th 
Phnom Penh, Cambodia

September 6th - 10th
Siem Reap, Cambodia

September 11th - 13th 
Luang Prabang, Laos

September 14th - 17th
Vang Vieng, Laos

September 17th - 21st
Vientiane, Laos

September 21st - 23rd
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

September 23rd - 29th
Borneo and Brunei(exact dates for Brunei tbc)

September 29th -30th
Depart Kuala Lumpur for Auckland

September 30th
Touchdown - Auckland!


T minus 32 and counting!

3 comments:

  1. Are you landing in the 'tron?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No ... on Emirates into dorkland. I know you're moving house, so if picking me up is a hassle I'm sure I can rope in a substitute and catch up with you after that! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK let's see...

    Shorten Vientiane and lengthen LP. Based on nothing but what I have read/heard about it.

    Halong Bay was a bit of a disappointment. Going out and sleeping on a boat there sounds romantic and all but the boats seem to have extra passengers i.e. rats and cockroaches, and the water was full of rubbish and jellyfish. Honestly, the Bay of Islands is better (maybe a bit colder!)

    Hoi An - If you are going to get clothes tailored, try Mr Xe. Somewhere near the river front, maybe a street or two back. Make sure you leave time to go for lots of fittings. Post it back to NZ so you don't have to carry it with you. Eat Banh Xeo (rice pancakes) in Hoi An. They are brilliant. I still dream about them.

    I have researched accom in KK previously, and in the process came across a place called Hotel Eden54. It falls into the 'budget' category, at least as far as I am concerned, at around RM130 for twin or RM170 triple. The tripadvisor reviewers rate it higher than the KK Shangri-la.

    HCMC - Pham Ngu Lao area was a grotty backpacker ghetto, I guess that's where all the cheap accommodation is. The historical district is much nicer (district 1 I think - where the central post office is) and I wished I'd stayed there.

    I've heard Nha Trang is a bit of a hole (we never went) so if you want to go somewhere nice and relaxed and out of the way go to Mui Ne. 5 hours by bus from HCMC and probably longer from Nha Trang. There is also a nice beach at Hoi An a little out of the town - that might be easier to get to.

    If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

    ReplyDelete