Wednesday 7 July 2010

The end is nigh!

It’s hard to believe that in just 39 days, Korea will no longer be reality and instead become just another memory. It’s been one hell of a journey!

It seems like only last month I arrived here, wide eyed, culturally ignorant and apprehensive about my new home, new job and the prospect of making a whole new set of friends. Korea has been kind to me – I’ll give it that. My job is a breeze – the hours are short, the kids are fantastic and I couldn’t have asked for better Korean co-teachers and colleagues (except perhaps the principal, but that’s neither here nor there). In the last year I have heard a lot of horror stories about bad relationships with co-teachers, uncooperative schools and diabolical, undisciplined students but I have to say I’ve not experienced any of these kinds of problems. That said, I have had some issues with a new co-teacher this semester but these have been due to differences in teaching styles and have not been on a personal level. It has been immensely frustrating, but in hindsight I think that perhaps in a strange, masochistic way I have relished the challenge and approached it as I do most things – head on. This job doesn’t offer a lot in the way of challenges, so you have to take what you can get – even if it isn’t perhaps the challenge you were looking for!

I’ve met some amazing people in the last year, and I hope to stay in touch with all of them. I’m especially going to miss Jo and Jeannine who have been my drinking buddies, dancing partners, agony aunts and best friends through everything. I’ve always maintained that when traveling, it’s not where you are that makes it but rather the people you’re with – I still stand by that, and Korea is a perfect example.

There are a lot of uncertainties around my return to NZ, and it would be fair to say I’m pretty nervous. I know without a doubt I’ll just slot back in where I left off – get a new job, buy a car, see old friends etc, but it’s the return to all that which has me nervous. Will it be enough? Time will tell I guess. One thing is certain – I’m really looking forward to seeing my family again, it’s been too long! I also believe I’m getting far too soft in my old age – I was thinking the other day about leaving Korea and got all teary. I taught my last 6th grade Wednesday classes yesterday and got all teary. I think about going home and how I’ll feel the moment I see my family again, and I get all teary. I think about all the times I got teary and I get teary. Good god, what’s happened to me? Still, if Steve Price can do it on national television then I can do it anywhere!

It’s going to be very strange to be back in New Zealand, where everyone speaks English and I’m just one more kiwi in amongst 4.2 million other kiwis. During my 3 years in the UK and my year here in Korea, being a New Zealander has been my defining quality. It’s how I’ve been identified and differentiated. On reflection, going home will, in a way, be a loss of the identity I’ve known for those four years. That’s not to say I’ve no other defining qualities (after all, I drink soju, I’m immensely clumsy and am rather opinionated) but it’s going to be a noticeable change for me anyway.

Anyhow, 39 days 'til I bid you adieu, Korea. Don’t disappoint me!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah... I give you 4 months back in Kiwiland before you give in to your itchy feet ;)

    ReplyDelete