Tuesday 20 October 2009

Things that make me smile

A Korean businessman offering me chewing gum as I sat at the train station drinking my coffee. So considerate! (either that or he could smell my breath from ten paces!)

Being told by little old ladies on the subway that I’m beautiful (I suspect they actually mean “you’re in my seat”)


Being offered food by random strangers in restaurants and public places – Koreans are genuinely friendly, generous people and it makes a refreshing change from London!


I also love the honesty and sweetness of my little students – here are a few gems from their English speech competition entries:


“I want to be a warm-hearted doctor” – sixth grade boy
“I like listening to music. Daesung (member of Korean boy pop band BigBang) is so cute, that’s why I love him” – fourth grade male student talking about his hobbies
“Anne of Green Gables is a story about a girl with ugly red hair and feckles” (sic) – fourth grade student
“Being afraid of something before you try it is silly, I think”. – third grade student’s speech on rollercoasters
“This story touched my heart. If everyone loves each other there will be many miracles”. Fourth grade boy doing a speech on the story of ‘Heidi’.
“My hamster’s name is Hamsun. He listens to me very much, I think he is smart”. Third grade student speech about her pet hamster, Hamsun.
Finally, there was also the mildly alarming sixth grade boy’s speech about how much he admired his sister – “I want to put her into big people”. (!!?)

No comments:

Post a Comment