Tuesday 20 October 2009

A quick two-week mash-up

Well, it has been an eventful last couple of weeks. I'm going to attempt to mash it all into a short entry, minus the not-so-happy bits! Looking back it seems as though I have been doing a lot of thinking recently, and I guess I have. This blog is intended to be a catalogue of my life and times in Korea so it stands to reason I'm going to write about what is happening in my life, and I hope you enjoy reading it.


This weekend I went down to Busan to stay with Fatima, and we were joined by Drew who had made the trek down from Incheon, near Seoul. It was a brilliant and much-needed weekend on the town, with the main drawcard being the 5th annual Busan Fireworks Festival! Drew and I both arrived Friday night and set up camp at Fatima’s apartment. After a couple of glasses of wine we went out on the town to meet up with a group of others for a few drinks. It was a great night of noraebang (that’s karaoke), drinking and dancing. I even met a very attractive 29 year old Korean guy from Daegu – what are the odds of that? He is taking me out in Daegu this weekend, but how it goes remains to be seen. I’m picking that it will most likely be an exercise in futility (and particularly bad sign language) but you never know til you try, right? I’m also particularly mindful of the Korean courting process – I hear that after three dates you’re considered officially dating (apparently not in America!), and if you meet the parents then you might as well clip the ball and chain on! Run, Di! Run! Needless to say, there will most likely be an entertaining (if nothing else!) post coming up on this blog - stay tuned!


The festival fireworks themselves were absolutely incredible – we watched them from the comfort of an apartment rooftop at the western end of the beach.  The whole show lasted the best part of an hour, and it was an amazing sight to behold. I took a few photos, but for the most part just lapped it up and thought about a lot of stuff. I seem to have been doing that a lot lately! Kate and Al got married that same night, so I thought a lot about how that was going and what everyone back in NZ was up to. After the show a few of us went into Kyungsung for the evening – again I met some great people and it was well worth the hangover and sleep deprivation the following day!


Looking ahead I’ve got a lot to look forward to – live music gigs to go to, 80’s tight and bright parties, Halloween, tours to other parts of the country and also the arrival of a friend in a month or so. We’re going to tour Daegu and Seoul in search of puffy little dyed dogs and the sorts of experiences only Korea can offer! Til then I’ll be hunkering down in warmer clothes as the weather is starting to get a little cold and wintery. On the upside of course, the leaves are all turning and the autumn colours are absolutely stunning. I will try to get out and take some pictures while I still can!

I'm also one month into my Korean lessons, and although it's challenging I'm once again relishing the opportunity to study and get my brain working again! Teaching elementary school students doesn't exactly provide a cerebral workout, so now that I've completed my TEFL certification I'm getting stuck into (and on!) Korean. 그것은재미있어요!






No comments:

Post a Comment