Wednesday 18 August 2010

Day One: Farewell to the land of the morning calm

The day dawned clear and warm, and only around one hour after I bid the previous one goodnight. Dragging myself from the warmth of my bed and piling into a taxi at 6.15am I said my final goodbyes to my life in Korea through a sleepy haze. Kristin and I departed Dongdaegu for the last time and boarded the Express bus to Incheon International Airport.

We made excellent time, arriving in just four hours. We checked in our bags, which, contrary to our confident predictions, weighed a ton: so much for packing light. Our flight left Seoul at 2.15pm and landed in Guangzhou, China three hours later. After discovering that there is in fact nothing to do in Guangzhou Airport we settled into a coffee shop to have some dinner and to avail ourselves of the free internet. As it turned out the internet isn’t actually free and, because neither is China, we were unable to access the majority of the sites we wanted to view.  It was a long four hour layover.

Our arrival in Hanoi was smooth – we processed our visas with no problems and managed to locate our driver, allowing us to avoid the taxi touts at the arrivals gate and move swiftly from the airport to the hotel. After sixteen hours of sleep-free travel and only one hour of sleep the previous night, bed has never looked so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment